Public Transport

To travel on Transperth bus, train and ferry services you need to buy a ticket*. With a valid Transperth ticket, you can use any combination of bus, train and ferry services.

Transperth has two types of ticketing, cash tickets and SmartRider, Transperth’s electronic ticketing system. Transperth recommends SmartRider as it always ensures that you pay the appropriate and lowest fare.

Transperth’s public transport service area is divided into nine zones, which are defined by circles centred on Perth city. Your fare is calculated by the number of zones you travel through on your journey. If you travel within the one zone, you will be charged a 1-zone fare. If you travel over a zone boundary into another zone, you will be charged a 2-zone fare and so on.

When you buy a Transperth ticket you don’t just buy a single ride on the bus, train or ferry, you buy between two to three hours of travel on any Transperth service. For journeys up to 4 zones, you have two hours to transfer between services. For trips covering 5 to 9 zones, you have three hours. The transfer period commences at the time of the ticket purchase or first validation of your SmartRider card.

*Children under the age of five travel for free and must be accompanied by someone aged 15 years or older. Children between the ages of five and 15 qualify for a concession fare.


Some Exceptions

Firstly, there’s a 2-section ticket, which is meant for short, one-way journeys. You can’t transfer between services with this type of ticket.

Secondly, when you only travel on a CircleRoute bus without using any other Transperth service, a 2-zone fare is the maximum you’ll pay.

Lastly, primary and secondary school students pay a maximum of 50 cents when travelling with a Student SmartRider to or from school on a Transperth bus, train or ferry or on any regional bus service regardless of how many zones they travel*.

It is your responsibility to determine which ticket to purchase for your journey. Ticket inspections are conducted across the Transperth system and fines are issued for fare evasion and invalid tickets.


Free Transit Zone

Transperth operates a Free Transit Zone (for buses) within the Perth city boundaries. Passengers can travel within it on any bus or train* for free, as often as they want.

Extracted 15 August 2017 from:

Kinggdom Institute of Management is accessible by train and bus.


For further information about public transport in Perth including ticketing, timetables and concessions, contact:


Transperth 13 62 13

Interstate callers: (08) 94281900

(public transport in Perth, 12 languages)


Timetables for buses can often be provided by the driver on request, or by telephoning the bus company. Bus companies are listed in the Yellow Pages telephone directory under ‘Bus and coach scheduled services’.



Perth taxis are easy to spot – they are all white in colour and display a ‘Taxi’ sign on the roof of the vehicle. Drivers must wear a uniform and display their identity cards on the dashboard of their car. Taxis operate 24 hours a day in most parts of Australia.

Taxi ranks are clearly identifiable by signposts and usually located in busy areas, like the CBD. You can also hail a taxi that is not at a rank providing that the rooftop light is illuminated.

A meter on the dashboard of the taxi shows the fare. If travelling in a taxi late at night (midnight – 5am) you will pay an additional surcharge. Taxis will also charge for a phone booking.

Taxi companies are listed in the Yellow Pages telephone directory under ‘Taxi Cabs’.


City Circle Cat Busses

The City Cat Bus service is a free service around central Perth and Fremantle. The Cat takes passengers up major streets to move you easily around the city. The Bus and routes are colour coded to help you get around easier. New gas bus have been added to the fleet.

To catch the free Cat bus service, just wait at any of the specially marked stops on the route.

Cats run around the inner city every 10 to 15 minutes, seven days a week between 6am and 7:30pm (except Christmas Day, Good Friday and Anzac day). On Sundays and public holidays the service starts at 8:30am. Please check the times at for slight variations in times.


Driving and Riding

You may decide to purchase your own car or motorcycle while you are studying in Perth. If you will be in Australia for less than three months, you can drive with an international driver’s license. (You must carry a translation if the document is not in English.)

If you plan to stay longer than three months, you will need to obtain an Australian driver’s license by taking a test on our country’s highway codes and regulations.

If you purchase a car, be aware that you will be responsible for the vehicle’s registration, repairs, fuel, insurance and service costs.

Your registration will also include compulsory Third Party Insurance, which will cover any personal injury to other people if you have an accident. This will not cover you for any damage to your car, or any other cars or property involved in a crash. It also won’t cover you if you’re injured in a single-vehicle crash, so we always recommend that you get proper car insurance and health insurance before arriving in Australia.