There is an orientation session for international students prior to the beginning of each term.

This is an opportunity for you to meet the administration staff and to introduce you to the College and its facilities, and also to meet with other new students.

At orientation you will receive your individual, comprehensive orientation pack, information on your class timetable, student ID card, Smart Rider form that gives you a discount on all train, bus and ferry fares.

Airport Pickup Service

Provided prior arrangement has been made, you can be picked up from the airport by a representative of the college.

Accommodation Assistance

We understand the importance of students from overseas having comfortable and secure living arrangements within easy reach of the campus, and we can provide you with advice on the following accommodation alternatives:

  • Homestay, where you live with a local family.
  • Rented accommodation, such as apartments or houses
  • Temporary short-term accommodation in hostels, dormitories and apartments.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $80 to $135 per week
  • Shared Rental – $70 to $250 per week
  • On campus – $80 to $250 per week
  • Homestay – $110 to $270 per week
  • Rental – $100 to $400 per week
  • Boarding schools – $10,000 to $20,000 a year

Other Expenses

  • Groceries and eating out – $80 to $200 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $60 to $100 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $20 to $50 per week
  • Public transport – $10 to $50 per week + Car (after purchase) – $150 to $250 per week
  • Entertainment – $50 to $100 per week

Minimum cost of living

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa. Below is a guide on the requirements you must meet to study in Australia:

  • You – $18,610 + your partner – $6,515
  • Your first child – $3,720
  • Every other child – $2,790

The Australian Government provides information and guidance on managing your finances.
You can

Emergency Matters

Contact details – 000

Service details – life threatening situations, such as a car crash or a fire.

Local police – non urgent matters

Contact details – Call 131 444 (everywhere except Victoria).

Service details – Police attendance for non-urgent matters.


Contact details – 13 11 14

Service details
Lifeline provides crisis support, suicide prevention and mental health support services across Australia.

These can include stresses from work, family or society and physical and mental well being. Lifeline offers support services by phone or through their online chat available on their website.

Kids Helpline

Contact details – 1800 551 800
Service details – If you’re between 5 and 25 and you’re feeling depressed, worried, sad, angry or confused about things like your studies personal relationships, Kids Helpline offers free 24 hour, 7 day telephone counselling support (anonymous if you prefer).

Poison Information Centre

Contact details – 131 126
Service details – Provides advice on the management, assessment and treatment of poisonous products including non-prescription pharmaceuticals, household and industrial chemicals, and plant and animal venom.

Sexual Assault Counselling Service

Contact details – Search online for ‘rape crisis centre’ in your home state
Service details – If you, or anyone you know, has experienced or is at risk of sexual assault, call one of the state-based sexual assault counselling services. These provide a free 24 hour, 7 day a week telephone counselling service (anonymous if you prefer). Many are connected to hospitals or government health departm-ents to help you if the assault has left you with injuries.

Referral to legal services as required

  • Legal Aid WA InfoLine – 1300 650 579

Referral for advice regarding student visas through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection:

All enquiries can be made on their website or by giving them a call Monday – Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm on 131 881.

Welfare support for issues including but not limited to financial, emergency accommodation, food, employment assistance KIM provides, or will arrange, counselling and pastoral care for students in the following areas:

  • Study skills
  • Education information
  • Applications for further study
  • Information on overseas student health cover and international students’ obligations with respect to overseas visa conditions
  • Personal, emotional and cultural issues

Access to the International Student Conciliator at the Department of Education Services in Western Australia Australia has a number of student associations representing and assisting students from Australian Institutions.


National associations include:

  •  Council of International Students Australia (CISA) – national peak student representative body for international students studying at the postgraduate, undergraduate, private college, TAFE, ELICOS and foundation level.
  • Australian Federation of International Students (AFIS) – assisting international students in maximizing the scope and potential of their experience living and studying in Australia.